Thursday, December 9, 2010

Do You Shop at Thrift Stores? You Should!

Dia Duit, friends :o)

Part of shop shop day almost always includes a trip to Goodwill :o) When we lived in Maryland we never went to Goodwill. I remember going into one once, it was dark and dirty and smelled awful...I never went back! After moving to Virginia there were a couple years when I still wouldn't go to one even after hearing many ladies at church talk about their deals. And then one day I went...and it was like a ray of light straight from Heaven fell on me and that store and an instant bond was made. :o) I almost NEVER go to a "real" store anymore. With careful shopping and planning in advance I am able to keep my family dressed in name brands that I could never afford to buy in the mall for less than Walmarts clearance prices. I could never begin to figure how many thousands I've saved by shopping there these 9 years I've lived in Virginia...but I know that there is no way we could have the nice things we do and the standard of living that we enjoy without it!

Today for example I bought a new Queen Vellux blanket to go on one of the girls new bed sets that they will be getting for Christmas. I just checked on Amazon.com and the average price was $55...I paid $6! I bought a new white collared Lands End tshirt (and I LOOOOVE a good white tshirt!) for $3.50.

If you haven't checked out your local Goodwill or thrift store I encourage you to look them up online or in the phone book (do people still have those?) and check them out! You wouldn't believe all the new and like new name brand things people donate!! And while you save all that money you're also helping people who can really use a little help. Our Goodwill employs many people who couldn't go and get a "normal" job due to challenges they have. Our Mission Thrift Store takes all that money made to run a homeless shelter, women's and children shelter, drug/alcohol treatment programs etc...all while telling those hurting about the Love of Christ...I can support that! I can spend my money there and feel good about it, not like shopping at the "greatest savings place" ;o)

Dia Duit!

No comments:

Post a Comment