Friday, December 17, 2010

Saving Money is a Way Thinking

Dia Duit :o)

Today was a shop shop day. Not my normal day..but I don't drive in snow or anything that even remotely resembles it ;) Hubby was home today so he took me. There weren't any great sales this week and I didn't have any great coupon savings.
Yet I still think todays trip will end up saving me money.

Did yall see this in the news earlier this week?
http://www.examiner.com/weather-in-baltimore/florida-freeze-record-cold-may-squeeze-orange-crop

This paragraph particularly caught my eye..
The cost of the freeze has already hit the market. Last week, prices for orange juice jumped 3.6 percent acording to The Wall Street Journal. According to Bloomberg News, orange futures jumped 90 percent in 2009 on fears of a much smaller crop due to cold air damage

I normally buy a bag of naval oranges a week. I started when I found the 8 pound bags for $4.99. A couple weeks ago it went up to $5.99. That of course wasn't related to this weather. Today when we went the price was still $5.99 for the 8 pounds of Naval Oranges.

I had a choice to make at that moment..and it struck me that my way of thinking has changed. I could have thought "oh see, no big deal..." and just bought my one bag and gone along my merry way. I mean in truth the oranges are a treat that the girls enjoy but can just as easily live without. But I didn't...I thought "the prices are going to go up...I should dehydrate some now while they're still reasonably priced so that I'll have them later."

Instead of one bag I bought three. The first one has already been sliced and is dehydrating in Excalibur :-D The second one will be done tomorrow morning. So while there were not great savings...nothing that WOWed them at the registers...I know this will save me money, and not only that but I will have the ingredients I need when I need them. Next week if the price is the same I'll probably buy another three bags and then be satisfied with that.

Dia Duit :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment